Skip to main content

What I Eat


Food. Food has been a big thing for me these last few years...
What to eat. What not to eat.
Without going into every detail right now, I will just say that I do not eat gluten, dairy, or soy. I limit nightshades (white potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, etc.) and eggs to some extent as well. I eat mostly Paleo, but I would not say "I'm on a paleo diet."
I eat the way I do for health issues and have seen a huge difference in the way I feel and how quickly I recover when eating this way. I know how sugar affects my body now, and avoid refined cane sugar, using honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, and I recently started using molasses as well.
I love to experiment in the kitchen! And I am so grateful for the way my new diet has opened me up to new foods...once you start eating healthier, your tastes change and you might just like something you would not have liked before.. Like sweet potatoes; my husband and I tried them more than once and hated them. And now we eat them almost every day and we love them! Funny how that works.
Cooking comes naturally to me and I enjoy it. It has been hard, doing things like the Elimination Diet, which tests for food you are reacting negatively to, to find joy in eating and cooking  at times, but now that we have a lot of it figured out and my family I used to our new diet, it is an exciting challenge to see what delicious thing I can make out of "safe" foods.
This is a sample of my diet from this week so far. I highly recommend batch cooking so that you always have healthy leftovers on hand. It makes everything much less stressful (and messy!)


1. Breakfast- Salad with homemade honey mustard vinaigrette and garlic salt, two duck eggs scrambled, and "soup" made by sauteing zucchini and diced turkey, and then pouring in some bone broth and adding spices (Onion, garlic, dill)I do my best to eat at least one vegetable at breakfast.
2. Dinner- Roasted sweet potato wedges, salad with honey mustard vinaigrette, broccoli, and salmon (seasoned with garlic, onion, dill and parsley)
3. Dinner- Broccoli, mashed white sweet potato, and salmon cakes with a Dijon mustard, mayo and touch of honey sauce. These fish cakes were SUPER good. I will post the recipe after making it one more time to be sure of measurements.
4. Evening snack/dessert- Chamomile tea and paleo mug cake. I mixed this cake up without a recipe...working on creating my own recipe that's not too dry. I have a recipe for a chocolate one I love, but I cant have much chocolate in the evenings or ill be up all night, so this cake was a spice cake and it was really yummy.
5. Breakfast- sautéed zucchini with a crispy fried egg, small bowl of oatmeal. I add cashew butter (or almond), coconut oil, almond milk (or coconut), butter, cinnamon, and honey or maple syrup and salt. My whole family loves it this way. Other additions I sometimes do are pecans, flax seed, raisins for my husband and son, sub coconut sugar for other sweeteners, or berries if you like them.
6. Dinner-Half of a baked sweet potato, green beans, roasted rainbow carrots, cauliflower puree, and brisket. The brisket was from a cow that was raised on our property, delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver