Skip to main content

The Question

 I am often asked "So, how are you doing?" by family and friends. I appreciate their interest and concern. But this question is actually one I somewhat dread....because I never know how to answer it.
 Healing is a journey....a process. There are up and downs, daily and "big picture" too.
 I never know where the line is, how to answer honestly but without going into every little detail.

 Overall, as I look back to where I was three years ago, I have definitely made huge progress. I have adapted to my new diet and lifestyle. I no longer feel many of my symptoms, I am no longer at a complete loss as to what to eat on a daily basis to facilitate healing, no longer is my body starving and attacking itself.
 But, when I look back to a year ago, I feel much differently about my progress...
 One year ago, I was really feeling the best I have felt in a very long time, including before my illness began. I had done so many things to heal my body, and grown so much in my faith and trust in God, and was just overall in a really good place. Chiropractor, acupuncture,counseling, massage, many supplements, doctor appointments, and prayers, by the grace of God, worked to my healing and it was amazing. We were so relieved and happy.
 And then the leap of faith; opening ourselves up to the possibility of more children.
 Two miscarriages in six months came next. My thyroid flared up with the first and then corrected itself after the second.

 When your thyroid doesn't do what its supposed to do, it affects your whole body. It's really, really unpleasant, to say the least. People who have never experienced this do not understand. (No, you really don't.) I didn't understand before either.
 When my thyroid and food intolerances first started, combined with calorie-burning breastfeeding, I lost a lot of weight. At first, I was glad. But then, suddenly, without trying, I lost 10 pounds in a month, and I knew something was not right. I lost basically all my body fat. My body was starving itself, due to all the food I was eating but not digesting properly and my hyperactive thyroid burning through everything it could.
But do you know what happened? People would actually come up to me and say "Wow, you look great! I wish I had what you have!"
"I wish I had what you have."
What could I do but laugh and say "yeah..."...?
I cannot tell you how completely horrible, how angry, how alone it made me feel when people would say that. "My body is starving itself!!" I wanted to scream. "I could be dying, and you're telling me that you wish I had what I have?!" I will never understand.... And it also bothered me because I have never received more compliments about my body than when I was so sick and skinny. "Is this really what looks good to people now?" I would wonder. "Our society is so messed up, our idea of beauty so skewed, that I look my best when I am literally starving?"
It hurt. It really made me feel like everyone was just jealous of me, and its hard to imagine people feeling compassion for you when they are jealous of you.

 But getting back to my original thought, when people ask me now how I'm doing, all of this comes to mind.... The pain and the tears, the depression, the loss; the improvements and answers, the healing and many, many answered prayers.
I am grateful to be alive. I am grateful for the means of healing God put into our reach. I am grateful for my amazing body, with a new appreciation for the intricate designs God put in place.
 But how do I answer the question? People aren't asking for my life story I know, but it's hard for me to just find a simple answer. I guess "It's complicated," would be the simplest, most honest answer.
 I struggle every day. I have many losses and small victories on a daily basis.
 Sometimes, when people hear about my diet, they say "Oh, I could never do that!" Inside, I smile and think, "yes, you could if you had to."
 When you're twenty-something with a husband and two young children and you are faced with the prospect of feeling the way I was feeling (or worse) for the rest of your life, you would be surprised what you are willing to do to get well.
I was so grateful for my naturopathic doctors and the, really very simple, idea that food can heal.
I am so thankful I listened to my gut and did not take the advice of the first doctor I went to; a medical doctor who only suggested that I take heartburn medication. (The idea is almost laughable to me, except that it was real, and there are probably others who did take his advice who are not getting better.)
I am so blessed to have a husband who was open to a lot of things he maybe wouldn't have been before, things maybe others would laugh at or never believe would be helpful.
So humbled and grateful that God cared enough about me to bring me through this extremely trying but very growing experience. Moves me to tears whenever I think about it. He didn't leave me the way I was, the way that for so long I thought was better....really it was just easier and familiar. Comfortable, but not really compassionate. Like floating on the surface, unware of the depths below.

"I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)

My life is full....so much to do, so many emotions.... Lots of hard days, but abundant blessings.
"The Lord has done great things for us, and we are glad." (Psalm 126:3)

So, if you ask me how I am doing, I apologize now for the hesitation and jumbled words and shrugs and awkwardness.
"I don't know. It's complicated. But it is better. But I might be having a bad day. But it will be ok."

 And, thank you for asking.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver