Skip to main content

Craniosacral Therapy

I have tried many different treatments to facilitate healing and encourage health and relaxation. CranioSacral Therapy is something relatively new for me, (I've had three sessions now),  but I have seen good results so far. I find it extremely relaxing and soothing. And interesting...
CranioSacral Therapists generally use a very light touch, but the results are very obvious, for me anyway.
What is CranioSacral Therapy?
The pamphlet from my doctor's office says "CranioSacral Therapy is...a form of therapy in which particular attention is paid to tension within the dura mater, the membrane that surrounds the brain and spinal cord. ...The craniosacral system controls the internal environment in which the brain and spinal cord operate and thus exerts a powerful influence upon the functioning of the entire body.
..Tension within the dura mater is detected primarily by means of its effect upon the tiny rhythmic motion of the bones of the skull and the tailbone to which the dura mater is attached. ...The body regulates the pressure of the cerebrospinal fluid which sorrounds the brain and spine very carefully, with the result that this pressure rises and falls rhythmically every 6 to 12 seconds, this craniosacral rythym can be palpated anywhere on the body and is the assessment tool that forms the basis of CranioSacral Therapy. By paying close attention to this rythym the therapist is able to locate restrictions and areas of abnormal tension, and to facilitate their release."
Generally the sessions start with some head and neck work, moves down to shoulders (front and back) down to ribs, down to hips, legs and ankles/feet. Usually the therapist moves down one side first, then starts the other. Then abdominal work. Then more hip/tailbone area. Finshes with more skull and neck.
Like I mentioned already, most of the time only a very light touch is used.Sometimes for areas like abdomen, the therapist will use a bit more pressure as you breathe out to reach a little deeper tissue or if there is a lot of tension.
Also, for those who might be uncomfortable with undressing for treatments, CranioSacral therapy can be done fully clothed, as long as you aren't wearing anything too bulky. For the abdomen you might be asked to roll your shirt up to expose your belly, but undressing is not needed (in my experience) as it is with massage or acupuncture.
I like to try to do some of the deep breathing exercises I've practiced while having the cranio sacral therapy too. I think a state of deep focused relaxtion, but also awareness, is very healing, especially during craniosacral therapy, or massage or acupuncture.
I am very aware of God's fascinating design of our bodies during and after a session; everything is connected and works together, and therefore when there is any tension or "dis-harmony" it will also affect the whole body as well. For example, I was feeling some tension, almost a twitching feeling in my left leg after he worked with it and it continued until he was working on my right/middle abdomen. I have a lot of tension in certain areas of my stomach, which for me affect my digestion and also mood/emotions. Anyway, while he was working on my right side, all of a sudden the tension was gone from my left leg and my left shoulder also relaxed more. Or I will notice my neck relaxing more while he works with my lower back.
I also noticed that as he works with my shoulders, my arms and hands turn out. When I first lie down on the table, I find the most comfortable, natural position is with my palms facing down, but as he relaxes the muscles of the front and back of my shoulder, my hands automatically turn up and out. It feels so good.
After the sessions, I feel very grounded and relaxed. I feel happy, calm, and peaceful. I feel grateful, encouraged. Sometimes, I cry a little on the way home (or want to)...not from sadness, just as a release of tension I think. Like happy tears. :)
CranioSacral therapy is kind of like massage, but even more gentle, with less movement; more holding/pressing than rubbing. It can also have more permanent or longer lasting results than massage.
Craniosacral therapy is a unique healing technique that is definitely worth trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Fish Cakes Recipe -(Paleo)-

I am trying to incorporate more fish into my diet, and these delicious fish cakes are a new family favorite! They can be made with tuna or salmon, salmon having slightly more to offer nutritionally; high Omega 3 fats, vitamin D, and selenium. (and more!) Fish is so good for your brain and heart, and can improve your mood, weight, and overall health. Interestingly, the selenium in fish helps keep our bodies from absorbing the mercury found in fish! God's good design :) This article  explains that in more detail, if you're a "nerd" like me and love learning about food. Anyway, on to the recipe! Ingredients- 3 cans salmon, tuna or sardines 3 TBS mayonnaise 3 TBS coconut flour 3 eggs 3 tsp mustard 1/4 tsp salt pepper 1/4 cup chopped green onions (1) Open canned fish and empty into med/large bowl. The fish I use has no added water, so I pour all the juices in too, no draining! Try to keep the fish somewhat off to side. Add the coconut flour to the j...

WhatIEat#43

Oatmeal cake, a classic recipe my mom would make when I was growing up. I have adapted it to suit my family's diet; it is gluten free, lower sugar, and I use pecans on top instead of cornflakes. It is so comforting and cozy to eat; the spices are warming and fragrant, and the texture is soft and moist. It is one of my favorite treats, and I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy it again with my family! A nice bowl of oatmeal, with molasses, chia seeds, cinnamon, cashew butter, butter, coconut oil, hemp hearts and soaked/sprouted pecans. I wasn't able to eat oatmeal for years, due to the pain and bloating it caused. But I'm thrilled to say that I have eaten it many times now with zero digestive issues. It's crazy and wonderful and my brain is still getting used to the idea of it being safe and normal, but every time I eat it, my brain gets a little more comfortable with it. I'm not scared, but I can hear my brain saying, "wait...I thought this w...

Energy Work//Christian Perspective

Psalm 66:16-20: "Come and hear, all you who fear God, and I will declare what He has done for my soul. I cried to Him with my mouth, and He was extolled with my tongue. If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear. But certainly God has heard me; He has attended to the voice of my prayer. Blessed be God, who has not turned away my prayer, nor His mercy from me!" I've had several conversations lately about some of the treatments I've received, mostly regarding the NAET treatments, so this has been on my mind... I just have a few things I want to clarify.  First and foremost, I want to make it very clear that I believe ALL healing is by God and for His glory. He alone gives life and breath and power. The Bible tells us this and I believe it is a foundational truth. Another foundational truth is that there is only one way for us to be right with God and that is through His Son, Jesus Christ; through His sacrifice and death on the cross and His Resurrectio...