Skip to main content

When Bad News Is Good News

After two months of waiting, I finally got the results back from the hormone test I did in April, and this time there were very clear answers for us. Thank you God!
After having so many tests come back "in the normal range" or just slightly off in some areas, having results that clearly show what's going on and where the imbalances are is a huge blessing and relief.

The test shows that I have been dealing with what my doctor said was "the most severe case of 'adrenal fatigue'/chronic fatigue syndrome she's seen, on paper, from one of her patients."
Ok...wow.
It also shows that due to the "adrenal fatigue" I am experiencing the same kind of hormone imbalance you see in someone with PCOS, or Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome.
Interesting...
This imbalance is also affecting my thyroid hormones, so that while I am producing enough thyroid hormone, it is not converting optimally and therefore creating some hypothyroid symptoms.
Aha.

The consultant from the lab that processes the hormone tests said that the way my adrenal numbers are presenting indicates that most likely the cause of origin is trauma, meaning there were "highly emotional events in my past that changed the way I saw the world and created a chronic stress on my body", and after awhile, that stress starts to create major symptoms and cause inflammation and imbalance.
Considering  how much my new de-stressing routine and mindset training have helped in the last couple months while waiting for these test results, I would agree with that idea. When you've tried so many different treatments and nothing "sticks" or get to the root cause, you have to start digging a little deeper to see what's behind it all.

The thing about health challenges is that things come in phases when they are ready and able to be dealt with. There are layers, and each time you overcome something, you get deeper and closer to the root cause. It can be really frustrating when you think you made progress and then something new pops up and you second guess everything you've done, but you need to remember that finding the new stuff does not mean you're going backwards. In fact, it is a sign of your progress! And you can only really deal with what you know, which is why for one, I highly suggest accurate testing and working with professional to interpret the results and two, you need to be self aware and take an honest look at your mental and emotional health; are your beliefs based on truth? Fear? Are you constantly willing yourself to change but falling into the same patterns and habits over and over again?

Getting back to the test results, I think maybe the reason they came out much clearer this time is because I had been treating my SIBO for about two months when I took the test,and clearing gut infections is the first thing you need to do to start truly healing, and also I wasn't taking any supplements except herbal antimicrobials for the SIBO and some digestive enzymes, so my body had no support like it usually does, and that caused it to kind of hit rock bottom. Which of course is not what you want, but as the title of this post suggests, it was very helpful in finally getting some clear answers.

So, adrenal fatigue, adrenal PCOS, and "adrenal induced hypothyroid"....now what?
Well for one it's important to understand that "adrenal fatigue" is actually, technically, officially something called HPA axis dysregulation. Adrenal fatigue is the name that is more commonly used, but some people and doctors will argue strongly that actual adrenal fatigue is not real or possible, except in very rare cases due to a rare disease, so that can be confusing if you're trying to research and get mixed opinions. Your symptoms and condition are real, it's just that the name is a bit misleading.
Ok. So what's this HPA axis?
Your Hypothalamus, Pituitary, Adrenals are all connected in a sort of "circuit feedback loop".
The thyroid is closely related to (but not technically a part of) this axis as well.
The hypothalamus signals the pituitary, pituitary signals adrenals and adrenals signal thyroid, all to produce and release and regulate the proper hormone levels in your body. When any part of this system gets thrown off due to stress, trauma, toxins, infections, mineral imbalance and such, it throws off the whole system, which then with a ripple effect will eventually cause more imbalance and symptoms in the body. It can take up to a decade for you to really notice some symptoms....which means by the time you usually start to get around to doing something about it, the issue has been going on for quite some time, and so you need to be aware of that because healing as well can take some time, though thankfully we can notice improvements much sooner than 10 years down the road. In fact, with some fairly simple changes, you can start to feel better in a matter of weeks.

My treatment plan right now is:

-Work on eliminating as much stress as possible. This does not mean cutting out everything that causes stress, although cutting back on certain activities for awhile is a good idea. Changing your perspective and mindset towards stressful situations and circumstances is also a big part of eliminating stress, perhaps even more so than reducing busyness or getting more rest.
If trauma caused you to view the world as unsafe, essentially EVERYTHING is stressful to your body.
You are always acting in emergency mode, that "fight or flight" instinct, and living that way literally makes you ill. You don't heal in this sympathetic mode because in an emergency you need blood pumping to your extremities, and not your digestive system or your "repair system"  because if you die, it doesnt matter if you digested that last meal, right? So it's very important that you start telling your body with words, thoughts and actions that you are safe. It is safe to rest.
You can do this with deep breathing exercises; these are very healing and restorative to your body. Positive affirmations and mindfulness, check your thoughts before letting them take over, fill your mind with truth, especially Scripture. The more you do this, the more this becomes your default, rather than worry or fear or guilt.

-Food can also be a stress to your body, so eating whole, nutritious foods that are anti inflammatory and healing is a top priority as well.

- SLEEP. Lots of sleep. I just got some bluelight blocking glasses to wear in the evenings to help boost or at least support melatonin levels to aid in sleep and good circadian rhythm. Going to bed by 10 pm, or earlier, is also important. I often wake up feeling exhausted in the morning and push myself to get through the first part of the day, crash around 4pm, still push myself to get through the rest of the day, and then, after 6pm , I start to have more energy, and often feel my best around 8 or 9pm. And then have trouble falling asleep. But even on nights I get around 8 hours of sleep, which almost never happens, I could still wake up feeling tired. It's just one of the side effects of the HPA axis dysregulation. So you want to support your natural clock and get exposed to daylight, upon waking and throughout the day, and then also natural evening light. No blue light emitting electronics after 6pm. (It's hard, especially when you have kids and after they go to bed is the only time you and your spouse have to watch something together). We have several Himalayan salt lamps in our home and I try to turn off as many lights as possible in the evening besides those, since the warm, yellow light from the salt lamps will not interrupt your body's melatonin production and release. Ideally your bedroom will be pitch black too, and then open your curtains as soon as you wake up to help your body regulate your circadian rhythm.

- Meditation/Mindfulness practice. This helps to get your body into that lovely parasympathetic mode where healing can happen because it allows your body to relax, signaling your brain that it's safe to switch into this mode. Deep breathing and consciously relaxing all the muscles in your body feels so good and the more you do it, the better you get at it, and the more easily you will be able to do it. And that's exactly what you want; more time in the "rest and digest (and heal)" mode and less time in that highly responsive, reactive mode. Even three deep breaths can help make that shift happen, but ideally 20 minutes a day doing some kind of meditation is going to be the most helpful.
I saw huge shifts mentally and emotionally after just a couple weeks of making quiet time for listening to guided mediation/relaxation a priority, and I have also noticed that in the last couples weeks, when I haven't been quite as faithful in making time for it, I have not felt as calm and positive and well, so it really does make a difference for me.

-Epsom salt baths; yes they are relaxing and that is awesome, but they also support optimal magnesium levels; Epsom salt has high magnesium content. Make sure to add enough of it to the bath and also stay in there long enough to absorb it. I read once that you detox for about the first 20 minutes, which I definitely notice because I do sweat at first quite a bit, and then 20-40 minutes in is when you start absorbing the magnesium. I haven't done a ton of research on it, but I generally try to stay in my baths for at least 40 min.

-Proper exercise. High intensity exercise is really not good for someone suffering from adrenal fatigue. Your body is already depleted anand this will just create further stress and depletion. Walking is the best, and some gentle yoga is good too. Some people say lifting weights is also acceptable as long as you don't do it to the point of fatigue. Start with just a few sets.
But really, just start walking.

-More time in nature. Studies show that spending time outdoors is very healing and calming. Especially if you are in a forest or near the ocean, time in nature is soothing and restorative for your body. So walking in nature is one of the best, not to mention free, healing tools you should start to implement.

- Add in specific supplements to support adrenals, gut, hormones and overall wellness.
Work with a good practitioner (I love my Naturopathic Doctor) who knows how to support the body nutritionally.

-Do more of what you love! Doesn't that sound great?!
 Doing things that make you happy naturally puts you into a more relaxed state and helps you release feel good hormones. Give yourself some freedom to explore interests or hobbies or skills that might get pushed aside during the times that you are feeling stressed or overwhelmed or just too busy. Schedule time to do nothing, or whatever you feel like doing when the time comes.
 The pressure of our culture to be constantly busy and scheduled out and cram as much as possible into each day and night are simply not healthy or conducive to a happy, fulfilled life. We are too busy to really appreciate God's beautiful world and all our blessings when we don't even have five minutes to just sit without feeling guilty for taking some time for ourselves. Nature walks feel like an unnecessary extra. Bubble baths with Epsom salt seem too luxurious. Laying in the sunshine soaking up vitamin D seems like something only people on vacation have time for.
But it shouldn't be that way. 
What if you were born to paint? You love it, it feels freeing and relaxing to you, but you never feel like you have time to pick up a brush and just see what happens and create something beautiful? God gives us gifts, talents, and we need to make space for those things too.
 I'm a mama, I totally get it; there are so many things that always need to be done, simultaneously, and your work is never done. But I've also realized that because my work is never done, for one, it will still be there when I come back to it, and for two, it's extremely important that I make time to refresh and refill myself. You can't hold your breath forever, you need to step out and get a breath of fresh air once in a awhile. 
Let go of the guilt. Satan wants to keep you from enjoying and appreciating and experiencing all the goodness God has surrounded you with. Don't let that happen.

All of these things are fairly simple concepts, but they can be difficult, especially at first, to actually practice. Start with one.

SO. That's what's going on with me currently. 
Things are up and down and adjusting and readjusting, and my cycle plays a big part still in my symptoms, but we are working on it, and I am seeing little results that will slowly-but-surely add up to, Lord willing, a full recovery. 
Even though it's not great to be told you have "severe adrenal fatigue", the good news is that it's very treatable, and it really makes you aware of how you are living your life and how to make positive changes to live your best life. 
My family has benefited from this as well. My husband used to have his own gut issues and he has told me several times how much better he feels now. And I hope that by teaching my children to prioritize eating nourishing food, staying active and getting plenty of time outside in the sun and nature, and modeling a good balance between work and rest and fun, they will be able to avoid dealing with the health and wellness challenges I've had to overcome.❤ I have learned so much on this journey and I am grateful to continue to learn and I hope that by sharing it all on here, others will benefit from it as well.



Comments

  1. Glad to hear that you are feeling better and I love that you explain the different steps and hormones. Such a hard thing to do and understand. Pray for continued forward path. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver