Skip to main content

Lego Life Lesson // Joyful Parenting

Nathaniel is almost always the first one to come downstairs in the mornings. He usually comes into our bedroom while I'm doing devotions and wants to talk and snuggle. One morning recently, he brought down one of his Lego creations and was showing me and telling me about it. Then he asked if I wanted to see him build it and immediately started taking it apart....
Now, when I'm in the middle of my devotions, my quiet time to start the day, I don't really want to sit and watch Nathaniel rebuild a Lego robot arm... But I'm trying to be patient so I say "Sure".
As I'm watching him put each piece carefully and thoughtfully back into place and listening to him explain why he chose each piece, and seeing his little hands (which aren't that little anymore, really) skillfully rebuilding this well designed, mechanical arm, I am suddenly struck with this realization:
This little boy can't sit still in church or at the dinner table, but he can sit building things for hours.
He talks SO loud and always has to say all the words in his heart, but he will stay in his room searching for the perfect pieces of Legos to build his next invention for hours, and all I will hear is the tinkling sound of Lego being pushed aside.
 I will say something to him and he will have this look on his face where I know he did not hear a word I said and I wonder if his brain is even turned on, but then he comes up with these amazing little inventions that are so thoughtfully designed.
He can be quiet. He can be thoughtful. He can be still. Maybe not how or when I want him to, but he isn't loud, or obnoxious, or mindless ALL the time. He is a little boy who is growing up into an intelligent human being who has the God-given potential to do amazing things in this world.
And for a little while, he's mine.

 Parenting is the most challenging, overwhelming task ever. You're trying to civilize and educate these little humans for the good of everyone and you feel very unqualified for the job alot of the time. And alot of the time, us grownups are so busy we don't take the time to really listen to our kids or truly see them or what they're doing.
And that's too bad, because we are really going to miss out on the beautiful parts of parenting then. We're pretty good at doing it with new babies; we can watch those tiny fingers and noses and yawns all day for those first few weeks, marvelling at how a human being can be so small and still have all the working parts, and then one the other hand how on earth that fit inside your belly?! And you feel so grateful and humbled to be entrusted with such a precious gift.
But then our children get bigger and we get used to them and they aren't so tiny and they start to talk back and we can't make them do what we want them to do, and it doesn't seem as "magical" anymore. And as usual, when things get hard we kind of just want to be done now.

Thankfully, God gives us these little moments of insight once in awhile to remind us of what exactly we need to care about and prioritize, and show us again the beauty of the priviledge of parenting. Yes, its a huge responsibility, but it is truly a privilege to be given the task of raising the next generation. You really want to change the world? Have kids! And train them to be the kind of people this world needs; people who love and serve God and others, and pursue peace and kindness, and use their gifts to bring joy and improve things.

It's not easy, but if you can have a big picture focus, the "long view" so to speak, and remember the goal, and that you really only have a short time to teach them what they need to know, it does help. And even more helpful is to remember that ultimately, our children belong to God, and He put them here with you, and He has a Plan for them, and He will take care of everything; God is bigger than you and He will use you in spite of your shortcomings, and He can work the "bad stuff" out for good.

A mama who is worried about "ruining her children" isn't the kind of mama that is actually going to ruin her children.

Look for those moments of joy and wonder throughout the day...there are probably alot more of them than you think, you just have to be aware and change your perspective sometimes.

"May the Lord give you increase more and more, you and your children. May you be blessed by the Lord, Who made heaven and earth."(Psalm 115:14-15)

"Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who delights greatly in His commandments. His descendants will be mighty on the earth;the generation of the upright will be blessed."
(Psalm112:1-2)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver