Skip to main content

WhatIEat#20

Mashed sweet potatoes with bacon and Costco beef hot dogs and sauerkraut; my version of a traditional Dutch casserole called Zuurkool.  We've been really upping our intake of probiotic foods here to boost immune systems and counteract the damage of the antibiotics Brian and I are taking for pertussis, and this is my favorite way to eat sauerkraut.
Boiled eggs, GF toast, leftover roasted potatoes, and a glass of kombucha (probiotics!) and lemon water. I wish I had all this ready to eat right now...sounds so good.
Roasted baby potatoes, broccoli, green beans, and mini meatloaf. I used a pound each of our homegrown grass fed beef, ground turkey, and ground pork for the meatloaf. I love how pork gives a lot of flavor and keeps things moist, since beef and turkey can be too dry by themselves.
Meatballs made from the same meat mixture as the meatloaf, green beans, sweet potato/carrot puree with sauerkraut and bacon. Oh man, bacon on sweet potatoes....that's the kind of flavor combo dreams are made of.
Oatmeal with honey, cinnamon, milk, butter and pecans. We had this for dinner actually. I don't often eat oatmeal for breakfast (high carb/high sugar isn't ideal for balancing blood sugar, even though oats are good for you, and so is pretty much everything I put in our oatmeal now), but oatmeal for dinner is a fast and filling meal and the kids love it. We often add in nut butters too, as I like to have a good amount of healthy fat in there to slow digestion and help keep blood sugar from spiking too much.
Boiled eggs , broccoli, roasted potatoes. I love boiled eggs so much! Why don't I make them more often...? Oh yeah, because I end up peeling all of them for everyone... I would seriously pay someone to just boil and peel eggs for me. (yeah I know you can buy them, but how fresh are those eggs??)
Quite an interesting plateful here... Broccoli, green beans, salad with HM dressing and avocado, pulled pork and sweet potato carrot puree. This kind of plate usually happens when I want to eat what I made the rest of the family for dinner but want to up my veggies.
These are my three favorite things to batch cook: Cauli puree, sweet potato puree (or roasted/baked) and pork (or beef) roast. If you have these three things on hand, it goes a long way towards keeping you on track with those whole food eating goals.
Cauli puree, scrambled eggs, and GF toast. Like I've said before, cauli puree is my favorite way to eat vegetables for breakfast. Plus cauliflower is metabolism boosting, perfect start to the day.
Grilled asparagus, salad with HM dressing, and some frittata. I been grilling more veggies lately; it's the only way I really like to eat peppers, and I love the flavor it gives asparagus.
Decided to have a smoothie the other day...again, trying to boost immune system and keep my tummy happy in spite of the antibiotics I'm taking. I haven't been doing smoothies lately...just felt like my body wanted warm, cooked foods instead of cold, raw ones for breakfast. Just because something is healthy doesn't mean its what's right for your body right now. Trying to be more mindful of what I eat and listen to what my body actually wants. And you'd be surprised how often it's NOT chocolate or sugar or cereal or something like that...but you have to ignore what your brain tells you sometimes. Like, "Dessert makes you happy! You should have some!!" Don't get me wrong, I eat treats (like pretty much every day), but don't just eat it because you're thinking about it. See if its what your body wants right now. It gets easier with practice.
Speaking of treats, look at these lovely GF donuts from Rocket Donuts! I can't tell you how happy I am to find actual donuts that also happen to be gluten free. I like that these are a bit on the small side (between a mini donut and a normal donut). They were the tiniest bit dry, but they would be perfect with milk or tea. The glaze was delicious. It's been so so long since I had a real donut. Yum yum yum. Trying not to daydream about them too much. ;)

Salad with avocado oil and garlic salt, slice of ham , carrot sticks and two fried eggs. Sometimes I have a hard time eating a plateful of salad; eggs make it better.
Fritattas are still goin strong here; breakfast . lunch, dinner, snack- good good good.
Kombucha- the newest addition to our diet. I bought it because I don't like yogurt and I don't love sauerkraut, and (following my smoothie logic) its way easier to drink something I don't like than have to chew it first. But surprisingly, I actually LIKE this kombucha. What?! Yes...it's really not bad. I've read about it's health benefits but was really hesitant to try it because it sounded like it can be very strong and fermented tasting. This one however is quite mild and tastes similar to a pink lemonade to me, and while it smells a fair bit like apple cider vinegar, it doesn't taste like vinegar at all. Win! The kids find it a bit fizzy, but they are coming around; Nathaniel was even excited to drink his this morning. :)

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always batch cook those things since it makes the same amount of dirty dishes and only a tiny bit more work. And I just keep them in the fridge and eat them fresh.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver