Skip to main content

Green Soup [SIBO Specific Diet]

This green soup has been the mainstay of my diet for the past 8+weeks on the SIBO Specific  Diet. I really like it and I hope you will too. It's nearly impossible to find recipes for meals on this diet which was frustrating to me, but as usual, I have found a way not only survive but thrive on even a very restricted diet. God has given us such an abundance of healing foods to eat and sometimes we just have to be a little more creative and adventurous and we can find foods that are both nourishing to our body at this time and satisfyting as well. You are more resilient than you think...you can heal and be well and happy. Never give up.


Soup Base(I always use these veggies):
2 bunches purple kale
2 bunches green kale
2 bunches swiss chard
1 bunch mustard greens
5-6 endive (purple or yellow)
4-6 radishes
1 bunch parsley
1-1.5 lbs. carrots (frozen or fresh chopped)
Homemade bone broth
1-2lbs ground turkey, cooked into crumbles

Add-In Veggies (to preference):
2-6 baby bok choy
2 bunches watercress
1 head radicchio
Handful of cilantro
Tsp. fresh ginger
1 bunch collard greens
Fresh basil
Juice from 1 fresh squeezed lemon
(I usually add all of these, but if you don't happen to have or like certain ones, the soup will be fine without it)

Add-In Misc.(to preference):
1 can of coconut milk or cream (Trader Joe's organic brand has no additives)
1/4 cup - 1 cup tahini
1-3 TBSP Almond butter
Ghee
Olive oil

Spices:
Pink or Celtic salt
Cumin
Turmeric
Curry powder
Dried dill
Dried chives
Dried parsley
Poultry seasoning
Dried basil

Prep the greens & veggies by washing and de-stemming and roughly chopping.
You have a few choices on how to prepare the greens- saute, steam or stir fry.
I like to throw the stalks of the chard and the bok choy into a pot with the endive and sauteed to soften a but and then throw the leafy stuff on top and toss to steam/wilt the greens. I usually add a cup or two of water to the pot after sauteing the stalks and endive to help with steaming the greens.
It might take two batches unless you have a really ginormous pot...mine is pretty big and I do two batches just so everything fits and doesn't spill over when I'm tossing it.
When the veggies are softened, transfer to a food processor. (If you have a blender that should work too, but I have only made it in my food processor). Puree the veg with a little of the liquid in the bottom of the pan.
A note about the carrots and radishes-
I often will do these two together after all the other greens and veggies have been pureed. (You could do them at the same time, maybe with the endive). I put them into the pot with any leftover cooking liquid. You can use frozen carrots or fresh, chopped carrots. I always grate my radishes, but a small chop should be fine since you'll be pureeing it anyway. I just don't like radishes and want to make sure I don't end up with any chunks of them . Lol
Put the puree into a separate container while you steam and puree the rest of the veggies.
When everything is pureed, add it all back into the large pot.
Add in the bone broth.
Add the cooked ground turkey.
Add in coconut milk, tahini, almond butter, ghee or olive oil, lemon juice and spices.

Adding in some fat really boosts to the flavor, nutrient absorption and satisfaction of this soup. Healthy fats make happy hormones too. And when you're trying not to lose weight, fat is essential to up the calories of a mostly vegetable diet. If you're trying to lose weight I would still add some fat in, but maybe not as much as I do personally.

I season to taste...I would recommend starting with probably a tablespoon or palmful of each one (maybe a tsp of the poultry seasoning) and then taste and add in more of your favorites. Make sure you smell the soup when seasoning as well...I use my nose a lot when I cook. And I add way more than a tablespoon of these herbs and spices but if you're new to this, just start with a small amount- you can always add more in, but you can't take it out.
I use a lot of turmeric, cumin and dried herbs especially.

I would also say, if you are not on the SIBO diet and you want to try this soup, I think adding garlic, celery, and/or  onion, either using fresh ingredients or dried spices, would only make it taste better. 🙂 The only reason they aren't in my recipe is because they are not SIBO safe.

These spices are incredibly healing and they taste amazing. Make sure you use fresh spices...if your spices are sitting in the back of a cabinet, expired and dusty, toss 'em and restock at places like Costco and Trader Joe's.
When I started cooking whole, clean, healthy meals, I quickly found that herbs and spices take dishes from ok to absolutely fantastic with just a few sprinkles or spoonfuls. And they are superfoods; you might think they're just powders or crushed leaves but the truth is they are some of the most healing foods out there, so I strongly encourage you to start using them.

The spices in this soup are especially good for digestion,  which, when you're treating a gut condition is a major bonus.

But I digress... Lol where was I??
Oh yeah, so after everything is cooked and pureed and you've seasoned to taste, I usually let it simmer for like 10 minutes on low just to help everything "get happy" and meld the flavors and rehydrate the dried seasonings.

This usually makes me between 1.5 gallons to almost 3 gallons. I store it in the fridge in glass Mason jars.

Honestly, this soup has literally been a lifesaver. Having healthy go-to foods that are easy to digest and super healing is an important part of healing, and batch cooking is such an amazing help. I had some intense die off symptoms for awhile and pureed food was all I could handle and while it was a big job to make this soup, once it's made I can eat for about 5 days on it.
I eat this 2-3 times a day, as a full meal or a side.
I almost always add another dollop of tahini, maybe a splash of coconut milk & more spices.
Sometimes I add more veggies or greens.

I know some people really want exact measurements, but that's not how I cook and I encourage you to relax and play with it...its just soup! It's really hard to mess it up.

I came up with this soup because I had a limited ingredient list and I dont like to chew greens and was having a hard time digesting them as well, and my solution when I have to eat something I dont really like the taste or texture of is puree it! And then my practical side says, just add in everything and make it as healthy as possible! And then you season it and you can really make it taste good and hide all the veg and enjoy it. Perfect.

I honestly love this soup now. And my body does too.
My skin is clearer than ever, and my tummy loves it too.
I hope you enjoy it, and that it helps you on your journey of health and healing and wellness.❤
Let me know if you try it🙂


***I am not a doctor and I am not giving medical advice. I share my experiences and personal knowledge in hopes of helping people. If you have a medical condition, work with a doctor or trained professional. 😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver