Skip to main content

Fasting Today


I went to another class last night on Digestive Health; the speaker was the clinical nutritionist I've been working with.
I was re-inspired to incorporate fasting more often into my lifestyle, so today I am fasting! My goal is 24 hours, which will be at 6pm this evening. Only 6 hours to go and I feel fine. I'm drinking herbal tea, teaching my kids their homeschool lessons of the day, and I need to organize my freezers to make room for a whole beef cow, and then go pick up all that meat from the butcher. I also have my second to last homeschooling class tonight.
 Judging by the note that my son wrote for me this morning (all by himself!), I must not be doing a terrible job with the homeschooling. 😊 Seriously, it makes my heart so happy to see how much they love learning and writing and drawing and reading...I feel so blessed. Homeschooling can be overwhelming, but it is so rewarding.
 But this post was going to be about fasting, so back to that!
 Fasting is a great healing tool. It's free and easy. Well, easy in the sense that it doesn't require a ton of preparation or physical work. The mindset/willpower situation is maybe not so easy, but with a little practice it gets easier. I have done a 24 hour fast before, but usually I just aim for 16-18 hours, which for me isn't usually hard at all. In fact, I'm enjoying not having to make myself food today.
 So why do I fast? Fasting gives the digestive system a break, allowing it to focus more on deeper healing. It also has beneficial effects on your brain function and liver, your microbiome and much more!  Fasting encourages stem cell regeneration, which is a very good thing for your immune system.  (Check out this study)
 There are probably more benefits, but I am not a doctor, and I would suggest you do your own research on it. People with certain medical conditions need to be supervised while fasting. I would also suggest you remember that it is a stress on your body, which is part of the reason its good for you, but attempting fasting on a day that you are super busy or already undergoing a lot of stress is probably not the best idea.
 That said, humans have fasted at times for basically all of history; seasonally or even daily, when food was scarce or you simply had to go out a find something. We are so used to having food everywhere, and then there's the recommendations about eating "3 square meals a day plus snacks or you'll ruin your metabolism" that scare us into making sure we are never without food. But most of us won't drop dead if we don't eat for a day. In fact, it can have an amazing healing effect.
 I find it helpful for the mindset part to remind myself, especially if I'm craving a particular food, that I will be able to eat again and I can even eat right now if I really want to. I have a quote taped to my fridge that says "Discipline is choosing between what you want now and what you want most." Fasting is a challenge for your body and self control. Doing hard things is usually good for you, and this is no different.
 The Bible talks quite a bit about fasting and using it as a time to refocus on God. I like to use this time to examine my relationship with food too; am I making it an idol by focusing so much on what to eat or when to eat or whatever? There does come a point when my tummy does feel hungry and instead of obsessing about how long it is til I get to eat again,  I try to think about a favorite Bible verse or a blessing I'm grateful for.
 The Bible says "O taste and see that the Lord is good..." It's a good thing for us to turn our eyes away from our physical nourishment for a little while and remember that God is the One who supplies us with all we need. Food is definitely important - vital - but it's refreshing to just take a step back and feel the freedom of being able to go without for a short time.
 Well, those are my personal thoughts on the matter.
Also, I did some experimenting  in the kitchen yesterday and I made myself some delicious spiced sweet potato mini donuts, and because I was crazy busy yesterday they are still sitting on the counter, and they are tempting me...But I know I can have one (or three) tomorrow, so I will not break my fast☺







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver