Skip to main content

Breathing Practice//Healing Your Body &Mind

I've mentioned that I have been using breathing techniques lately, as a way to help balance the automic nervous system, boost my para-sympathetic nervous sysyem, reduce stress, and facilitate healing.
But what exactly does that look like, you might be wondering? There are variations you can find of each technique, but personally I like to use kind of a combination of a few different things.
Here's how I do it:
I prefer to lay down, but you can also sit.
Using your right hand thumb and ring finger (or fourth finger), you will alternate closing one nostril at a time.
 To start, take a deep cleansing breath. Fully exhale. Before breathing in again, use your thumb to plug your right nostril.
With your thumb closing your right nostril,  inhale, nice and smooth, using your diaphragm (more stomach, less shoulder lift) for a count of five seconds.
When you reach the top of the breath at five seconds, pause very briefly,  switching over to your ring finger plugging your left nostril.
With your ring finger on your left nostril exhale for a count of five (exhale fully to aid in next full inhale).
Keep your ring finger over your left nostril and switch to inhale for five seconds,  then pause at the top, switching sides and fingers(thumb back over right nostril) and then exhale for five seconds.
This completes one cycle.
Do this for five minutes at a time, ten minutes is even better. A couple times a day is really good to do at first while you learn the technique and condition your body to enter the parasympathetic mode. The more you practice this, the more it will help.
This method combines several different breathing techniques, but all are designed to aid in healing and relaxation.

Yoga Nidra, parasympathetic breathing,  alternate nostril breathing, heart rate variability (HRV), and hypnosis/meditation relaxation techniques have all shaped  how I came up with my own personal practice. YouTube is a great resource for all the things I mentioned, so if you want to learn more about a specific thing, I suggest searching for a video on there.
Once you've mastered the breathing, you can also add things like gratitide and affirmations.
Focus on one or a couple things you are thankful for...really feel the joy they bring to you.
You can practice affirmations like mantras that you repeat. Sometimes it feels really good to alternate what you say or think with your inhales/exhales; on the inhale "I breathe in calm", on the exhale "I release chaos", or "Breathing in peace, breathing out tension", or simply "Rest" and "Release".  Find what resonates with you and work with it.

Lately, an affirmation I've been using alot is "God heals me."
Choose something that can apply to the present and the future. If we only say "God will heal me", we can get stuck in the mindset that it has not, or is not, happening right now.
Another example- say " I react peacefully in stressful situations", rather than " I will not get upset with my kids anymore".
I really enjoy starting my day with the breathing practice,  but I also will sometimes stop and do it in the middle of a day that's just going crazy. Sometimes I lay outside in the sunshine. I have found now that I have been practicing this for awhile, that when I am in a stressful situation, I much more often "subconsciously" stop and take a deep breath, which is a really good thing, and a sign that my body is shifting to a better place overall to facilitate healing.
When we experience chronic stress,  there comes a point when our bodies can kind of lock into emergency mode. This is the sympathetic nervous system's job; "fight or flight" mode saves our life in an actual emergency.  But when we get stuck in that response system, our bodies are constantly stressed and cannot heal. Certain functions actually stop or are dramatically reduced in an effort to save energy; because in an emergency  we don't need to, say, grow thick hair or go into a deep sleep, we just need to survive.
So we have to work on boosting the parasympathic nervous system to restore balance and achieve healing. This means reducing stress on your body, mind, spirit and emotions.
God's amazing design of our bodies and how they were made to heal is such an interesting and exciting thing to learn about. I am so grateful for tools, such as breathing techniques, to help support and heal our bodies. Self care might feel like a luxury sometimes, but God wants us to care for our bodies and minds. Be intentional, be responsible; be supportive of the gift He has given you; don't take your health or body for granted.

I'd love to hear if you do any type of breathing technique to reduce stress, or if you try mine😊 Also feel free to leave a comment if you have any questions.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver