Skip to main content

WhatIEat#43



Oatmeal cake, a classic recipe my mom would make when I was growing up. I have adapted it to suit my family's diet; it is gluten free, lower sugar, and I use pecans on top instead of cornflakes. It is so comforting and cozy to eat; the spices are warming and fragrant, and the texture is soft and moist. It is one of my favorite treats, and I'm so thankful to be able to enjoy it again with my family!


A nice bowl of oatmeal, with molasses, chia seeds, cinnamon, cashew butter, butter, coconut oil, hemp hearts and soaked/sprouted pecans.
I wasn't able to eat oatmeal for years, due to the pain and bloating it caused. But I'm thrilled to say that I have eaten it many times now with zero digestive issues. It's crazy and wonderful and my brain is still getting used to the idea of it being safe and normal, but every time I eat it, my brain gets a little more comfortable with it. I'm not scared, but I can hear my brain saying, "wait...I thought this was a no for us?" And I smile and tell myself "It's a yes now, and it is safe." 


Shredded turkey, mixed with a little avocado mayo, salt n pepper, and broth when I warmed it back up so it wouldn't be dry. And a big side of steamed veggies with ghee. 


Dinner, for my family AND me. We ate this veggie and turkey soup, along with Brazi Bites, which are little cheese puffs that I bought from Costco in the frozen section. They are traditionally gluten free, being made with yucca or cassava or tapioca starch. They are very chewy and tasty. I don't eat "regular" dairy for the most part, but I have had some cheese a couple times lately. Usually I just stick with goat and sheep dairy, as they are easier to digest. But I wanted to eat with my family, and it was fine.🙂



I have been making fried chicken quite often lately. I usually grab a pack of organic thighs chicken from Costco and fry it all up at once, so it's quite a process. But then there's chicken for salads or snacks for a few days. And my family loves it. Growing up, my favorite meal was when my mom would make fried chicken,  white rice (which we topped with butter, sugar and cinnamon) and green beans.  
As you can see, there is also broccolini, mashed potatoes, and corn in my plate. These are all things I either had to avoid for awhile or haven't eaten for years. And again,  they have been fine for me. 🤯😄 It's just really astounding the difference the DNRS has made for me.


GF Pancakes. Yum. Fluffy, carb-a-licious, goodness, topped with nut butter, cinnamon, and honey. 
I ate them. It was great. The end.


 Big salads have sounded so good to me lately, and I have one almost every day. This one has my classic HM dressing, chopped up homemade fried chicken, and manchego cheese. And salt and pepper. Season your salads, people. And your sandwiches. It makes a big difference.


Butternut squash-chicken-rice curry. So satisfying and cozy. Casseroles get a lot harder to make when for one, you can't eat carbs, and for two, you can't use condensed soups as a creamy binder for everything.
 This was really good and the closet thing I've had to a casserole in a long, long time.


Look at that brilliant, dark green puree! Seriously, the easiest way for me to eat greens is to steam them lightly, then puree them. Less chewing, easier to digest. And I make a large enough batch for several days. This time I used two bunches of kale, one bunch of rainbow chard, a bunch of parsley,  and one head of baby bok choy. It's also really nice to have on hand to stir into leftovers like soup, veggies or that butternut curry pictured above. It actually doesn't have a very strong flavor, so you can boost the nutrient profile of alot of dishes without really changing the flavor much.


More oatmeal. I'm in love. It's like being reunited with an old friend.


Another big salad, this one with soft boiled eggs, chopped turkey deli meat, and pecorino romano cheese.




Seaweed! I love this stuff! Sophie likes to eat it too. The boys here will not eat it though. 
The first couples times I tried it I thought it was way too...ocean-y? Fishy? But either I got over it, or I tried a few different brands, or I just really need it right now (for the iodine), but this is one of my favorite salty snacks. #obsessed 


This was a breakfast at 11am. Leftover veggies warmed up in ghee, sprinkled with curry powder, and leftover fish cakes, warmed and topped with HM dressing.
Post workout, this warm, filling meal was satisfying and won't spike my blood sugar. 👍🏻


More fish cakes, covered in HM sauce, with rainbow veggies tossed with ghee and pecorino romano. 


Cauliflower puree, fried chicken and roasted baby potatoes. Cauliflower puree, as you know if you've followed me on this blog for awhile, is one of my favorite foods and I couldn't have it for most of last year, due to the painful digestive symptoms it caused.
 But now, it's back! Yum.


Roasted sweet potatoes,  fries chieck, and butter lettuce with HM dressing.


Christmas cookies! I have modified my Oma's butter cookie recipe to be GF and lower sugar. Personally, I think I prefer it over the original because of the flavor the oat flour gives it. 
I also really, really wanted to bake Cheistmas cookies with my kids, and I did, and I'm so happy I made time to do that. They had so much fun decorating the cookies. 


Peanut butter balls. My special holiday treat. I think it's maybe reached the point where if I didn't bring these to my family's Christmas party,  they might not let me in. Lol
I don't follow a recipe...I just wing it. I should probably work on writing down what I'm actually using to make these delightful little guys, but....then my family won't need me anymore. 🤔😏


Christmas Day lunch. Ham, green beans , and roasted, white sweet potato fries. Simple and delicious. I like to get a couple hams from Trader Joe's when they get them in for the holiday season and throw them in the freezer.

Well...as you can see, my diet has become much more varied and less restrictive.
 Hooray!🥳
I am so thankful for the progress I've made in the last couple months. Praying the healing continues, and sticking with my DNRS practice to help with that.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver