Skip to main content

A Plethora of Probiotics

Coconut yogurt, Root Beer kombucha, Beet kvass, Coconut Lime Mojito water kefir, and Gingerade kombucha.

Since treating my gut for SIBO (a.k.a.
small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) for about five months this year, I have been slowly adding foods back in to my diet.
 Thankfully, the treatment protocol my Naturopathic doctor recommended seems to have done the job; the herbal antimicrobials and biofilm disrupter supplements combined with a special Low FODMAP& SCD diet killed off or starved the bad and/or misplaced "tummy bugs", as they're known in our house, and I have been quite successful with the food reintroductions for the most part.
 One of the most important foods to add back into your diet after doing some major gut microbiome altering treatment is probiotic foods.
What you actually want is for your gut flora to as diverse as possible. The more the merrier! The idea is that having a broad spectrum of those little tummy bugs helps keep everyone in check, and no one type will be able to take over and cause problems. Even "good tummy bugs" can turn into bad guys if they are in the wrong place or you just have too many of one kind.
Probiotic supplements are great; they are simple and convenient, and if you are wanting to boost a specific strain, maybe to hopefully avoid colds and flus for example, you can read on the package and choose one to suit your needs. Probiotic supplements may not be as effective as you want them to be though; some preparations are very fragile and require refrigeration, some don't actually survive well once they hit stomach acid, and some aren't fresh and by the time you ingest them, half of the bacterial cultures could have died. And they contain fillers too.
 Don't get me wrong, I take probiotic capsule supplements and give them to my kids and husband too, and they are very helpful.
 Probiotic foods, however, are literally alive. The amazing bacteria that made them is still living in them, and often they contain a much more diverse variety of bacteria due to everything from the whole foods they are made of, to the air they've been exposed to, and a probiotic culture of some kind to get the fermentation process started in the new product.
 In times past, fermented foods were a staple. They were a way to preserve foods longer without refrigeration and also make them more digestible. Nowadays, people turn up their noses at sauerkraut and beet kvass; we aren't used to the potent, raw flavor of real food. I admit, some things do take a few tries before they are tolerable, but I highly encourage you to just start small then. Literally get out your measuring spoons and start with a teaspoon of whatever you've decided to try and work up to a tablespoon, and so on. It's perfectly fine to work your way into it slowly.
 In fact, that is exactly what was recommended to me, since a large amount of probiotics after my SIBO treatment might cause unpleasant symptoms.
 Actually, for anyone, adjusting to new foods can cause some bloating or gas or discomfort since you might not have much of the gut bacteria that breaks down that type of food. So starting small is a great idea then.
 Scientists are discovering that one of the keys to a long, healthy, happy life is having a diverse and robust microbiome. Your gut microbiome affects EVERYTHING, not just your digestion. Your mood, your brain, your immune system, your hormones; they are all intimately connected to your microbiome.
 If you can't digest food, or absorb nutrients, or make hormones, (did you know you make hormones in your gut?), or if your immune system is overloaded with the threats on the inside, (like SIBO or other gut infections), how is your whole body going to function properly? It won't.
 We need to take care of our microbiome, and probiotics and prebiotics and time in nature and sunshine and exercise and proper rest can all help us do that. Go barefoot, play in the ocean, garden and get your hands in the dirt, get some animals or go visit some; all these things can expose you to gut friendly bacteria and help you build that beautiful microbiome you want for good health and overall wellness.

**I am not a doctor and I am not giving anyone medical advice. My blog posts are based on my own research, personal experience and understanding. They are intended to be food for thought and inspire you to do your own research.**


Sauerkraut, whole milk yogurt, and sour cream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver