Skip to main content

SIBO Diet &Treament


I had a doctor appointment last week, and we came to the conclusion that SIBO is most likely behind all my digestive symptoms that have flared up majorly in the last month, not to mention the anxiety, depression, and fatigue. Fun stuff.

What is SIBO?
SIBO stands for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth.
SIBO is a condition where bacteria that are meant to be in your large intestine migrate up into your small intestine. The small intestine is relatively sterile; the majority of bacteria normally reside in your colon and large intestine. When you have bacteria  in your small intestine, they feed on components of certain foods, and then release gas into your small intestine, causing pain, bloating, and sometimes damage to your gut lining, as well as causing nutrient deficiencies, food intolerances, anxiety/depression, and other issues.☠
Your small intestine is supposed to be where you absorb the nutrients from your food; if abnormal bacteria is disrupting that process, your body is not able to receive nourishment and you will absorb toxins from the bad bacteria besides.

I was tested for SIBO a few years ago but the results were negative. The test isn't 100% accurate though, and also, it could be that this is a recent development for me.
 But if you have unresolved digestive issues that come and go, SIBO could be the culprit, as it is hard to eliminate completely unless you are very aggressive with the right treatment and continue it long enough. You also need to find the root cause or you can end up having it flare up again later.

I had been doing some research, trying to determine the cause of my sudden and increasing abdominal discomfort; bloating, gas, sharp stabbing pain, decreased digestion/nutrient absorption, plus fatigue, extreme mood swings, anxiety, depression and difficulty concentrating. I've dealt with these issues coming and going for the last few years, but during this past January they came on again pretty suddenly and escalated quickly.

What caused my SIBO?
I know that I have issues with my Ileocecal valve.
Your ileocecal valve is a sphincter muscle valve situated between your small and large intestine and it is supposed to open and close to let food out of the small intestine into the large intestine.
Mine, however, gets stuck sometimes, which has a few different consequences. If it gets stuck open, it essentially creates a "sewage back up" situation in your small intestine, which allows your body to absorb toxins, and harmful bacteria to have access to places it doesn't belong. (I know it gets stuck because it hurts when it does and my chiropractor can and does adjust it for me via visceral manipulation) If it gets stuck closed, then food will sit in it too long, giving bad bacteria the chance to feed on it and multiply where they don't belong.

 I also have had symptoms that point to low stomach acid levels- low stomach acid levels contribute to SIBO because normally your stomach sends out a cleansing wave about and hour and a half to two hours after you eat to wash out the small intestine and sanitize it. Low stomach acid means that the small intestine isn't getting cleaned properly, not to mention you're not able to digest food properly, which leads to compromised nutrient absorption, which contributes to overall unwellness, since your body's systems all work together and any "break in the chain" has a domino affect... Yikes.
Another thing that makes it hard for your small intestine to get washed out with stomach acid is eating too often. That cleansing wave gets delayed, allowing food to sit longer, so if you're treating SIBO you are advised to space your meals 4 hours apart as much as possible.

Low adrenal and thyroid function can play a part in SIBO, as well as food sensitivities and diet.

And all of these are things I've been dealing with for the last 6 years.

As I was researching , I realized that due to my known food sensitivities, the low lectin diet I've been following and personal taste preferences, almost everything I have been eating recently is on the No List for the SIBO diet; in other words, everything I've been eating, combined with all my health issues basically set me up for SIBO. 🙁 Oops.

A few other things in my health history have also been linked to increasing the chance of developing SIBO:
 -Birth control pills, which I took a decade ago for almost three years, and greatly regret for several reasons, are linked to leaky gut and hormone imbalance and mood swings and more.💊 When I started taking The Pill, I was told it would regulate my cycle (which had no schedule whatsoever,) reduce my heavy painful periods to something more bearable and get rid of my acne. I was not told about all the potential side effects, some of which I have only recently learned about.
(Check out Beyond The Pill by Dr. Jolene Brighten to learn more about what birth control pills actually do to your body and how to heal from it.)
-Tums antacids that I popped like candy when I was pregnant with Nathaniel for my bad heartburn mess with your natural stomach acid levels.💊
-And then there's the chronic stress that I seem to internalize and that is terrible for digestion and everything else...😵
Talk about a "perfect storm"...

Diagnosis & Treatment
So, I told my Dr. my current symptoms and reminded her of some previous diagnosis. She asked me what I thought it was, and I said it sounded like SIBO, and she very strongly agreed with me. Yay?

It's funny; even though I suspected SIBO, for some reason I didn't prepare myself at all for going home from my appointment with an even more restricted diet and more supplements...
Emotionally it was a hard adjustment.


Generally, you are diagnosed with SIBO following a breath test that tests the levels of methane and hydrogen in your breath; this tells the doctor the exact treatment route to take. Since the test is not 100% accurate and I had so many things pointing to SIBO as the issues, we decided to skip paying for the test and just go forward with treatment.

I am taking several antibacterial/antimicrobial supplements a couple times a day. You have to take them away from your meals, so I'm on a very timed eating and supplement schedule.

My Dr. also suggested a medication  that we had discussed in the past, since it can help with a wide variety of illness, especially chronic and autoimmune ones: LDN, which stand for low dose naltrexone. It requires a nightly dose, starting with the absolute minimal amount and slowly, weekly, building up to the optimal dose, over the course of a few months, and then staying on it for about a year. I reluctantly agreed to take it...another emotional adjustment. This Rx is different than most in that it causes your body to up its own pain response system instead of directly effecting symptoms(like NSAIDs for example). It also helps reduce pro-inflammatory cytokines, and high levels of inflammation are associated with many diseases and symptoms.


(Side Note-This post is not meant to diagnose anyone, and you should always work with your doctor to treat SIBO, as you will need some expert guidance and care. I'm not a Dr.,  this is just my own personal experience.)


Diet
Diet is a big part of treating and healing from SIBO. You want to stop feeding those nasty gut bugs that are causing your painful symptoms. You want to avoid foods that are more fermentable to due to the sugars and starches in them.

So currently I am following the low FODMAP/SCD/SIBO diet, and taking a new digestive enzyme supplement as well, to help with the low stomach acid issue.
Thankfully, my Dr. said I could take a break all other supplements for now, so at least I don't have to think about all the other stuff I was taking.

And you know what....? I feel amazing! YES!❤
Over the three days following the start of the diet I felt progressively better and better.That's a good sign; if the SIBO diet is going to help you, you should know within a week.
The first three days I was also very emotional/weepy and I had some dizzy spells and nausea. But I was prepared for much worse- bacterial die off symptoms can make you feel like you've got a terrible flu, so I am super grateful that I didn't have that.

Part of the reason I was so emotional those first few days of the diet was definitely because adjusting to a very strict diet is hard. It feels overwhelming and isolating and impossible. But then you get into a new rhythm and things start to go better. Especially if it makes you feel better physically
But there is more to it than just that. SIBO actually affects your mood; the gut/brain connection is totally real and of your gut is unhealthy, then your emotions are probably going to be too. The bad tummy bugs that take can over your small intestine have been linked to anxiety and depression.
I was experiencing two kinds of anxiety; the one was a physical feeling, sort of like tension in my stomach, that would make me feel like I was anxious even when mentally I wasn't, and then after awhile actual anxiety about getting better would show up... I could tell the difference between the two and I knew that something was causing a problem physically that was directly affecting my emotional health.
Once I started the SIBO diet, I felt like all the tense and tight sensations in my stomach started to release, and with it came tears...tears that came on out of seemingly nowhere sometimes. I just let myself go with it as much as possible, though having kids that are old enough to notice what's going on with me does make me hold back at times. I don't want to scare or worry them. But it really felt like there was so much inside of me that just needed to be cried out. And then I felt better and I haven't cried for days. It just needed to move through and you have to be willing to let it.
Healing is a holistic process. Balance between all the systems is going to help you feel your best.

The food situation has been interesting...I was not pleased that I had to eliminate so many favorite foods:

Cauliflower, Avocado (Including Avo. oil and Avo. mayo), Asparagus, Garlic, Onions, Mushrooms, Tapioca starch (no more paleo naan), Celery, Yuca, Pistachios, certain Herbal teas.

 Broccoli, Spinach, certain Nuts are strictly limited in amounts. (I just cut broccoli out for now, since I was eating it so much)

Dairy is out for awhile but can be brought back in soon to test, and then its only hard cheese and homemade sour cream or yogurt. (no additives)

Bone broth is only allowed if made with marrow bones and no cartilage. (Collagen has a component that turns into a fermentable sugar, I believe? And I was adding it to my mug cakes to boost hair skin and nail health...)

Things like Chocolate, Sweet Potatoes, and Coconut Sugar are out, which I already avoided for the most part due to suspected intolerance.

 And huge, raw salads are a No; cooked veg for the win.

And it's crazy because normally, in a healthy, properly functioning body, these are all healthy foods! You would never think that garlic or celery or pistachios or SPINACH could be bad for you, right?
But under certain conditions, these are the very things that can give you a lot of trouble and I apparently have those gut conditions and was almost solely eating these foods...

So what have I been eating???
Tons of greens 🌱 like kale, arugula, spinach (limited), collards, endive, parsley, basil, and cilantro🌿 sautéed in French Butter or Ghee or Bison Tallow.
Carrots🥕 (Yay!), sautéed and seasoned with dill, cumin, turmeric.
I grate radishes and throw those in to sautée  with the carrots. 
Eggs, 🍳boneless, skinless chicken🍗 (no cartilage/collagen), lamb,🥩 tons of fish like salmon, sardines, and tuna, 🐟 bacon with very specific curing ingredients.🥓
Almond butter and macadamia nuts, and pecans.🌳

And you know, I do not feel deprived really...I feel satisfied. No food cravings.
Well... I did  make my sister in law some GF peanut butter brownies that smelled fantastic. And I baked some GF chocolate chip cookies for a party we went to, and there was ice cream cake there too which looked like it would taste good...And I still make pizza and snow ice cream and chocolate waffles for my family.  Lol talk about torture, right?
Actually though, I was ok. And it gives me immense pleasure to make delicious treats for my friends and loved ones. There might be an element of living vicariously through the enjoyment of others too..

But I managed to make myself a mug cake, and some compliant cinnamon  muffins and I have already come up with a dish that tastes very delicious and similar to Pad Thai using carrot noodles, spices and almond butter. (Pictured at the start of this post)
I'm doing fine. 😊

This diet to treat SIBO is a temporary, 6 week situation. I have Dr. appointment scheduled in March, and I think after that, assuming I am still feeling great, then I will get the ok to start testing foods and expand my diet, hopefully bringing back even more than I was eating most recently. 
My list of ok foods that are free of gluten, soy, corn, refined sugar, conventional dairy products, low lectin and not generally not raw was very limiting already.
And let me tell you, nothing tastes as good as healthy feels.

I have been counting my blessings:
-my husband Brian who has been so supportive and loving through all my ups and downs💘
-access to healthy nourishing foods💚
-a knowledgeable and caring doctor💛
-a good, Christian chiropractor who knows how to unstick my IC valve🧡
-even with this SIBO situation, I can still see other areas where I have made healing progress💗
-a loving Heavenly Father who holds me and sustains me and leads me to and through places I would not go myself, but that make me a better, more compassionate, and wiser person❤
And there are many more blessings...truly "the lines have fallen to me in pleasant places." (Psalm 16)

So here I go, onward, fighting, striving always for growth and healing and joy.
And if you are reading this and you are struggling, I want to end with some verses from one of my favorite Bible passages, Lamentations 3.💙
 (I have sort of paraphrased this chapter to include my favorite parts.)

"I am the man who has seen affliction by the rod of His wrath.
He has led me and made me walk in darkness and not in light.
Surely He has turned His hand against me time and time again throughout the day...
And I said 'My strength and hope have perished from the Lord.'
Remember my affliction and my roaming...my soul still remember and sinks within me.
This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope-
Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
'The Lord is my portion', says my soul, 'therefore I hope in Him.'
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the soul who seeks Him.
It is good that one should hope and wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.
It is good for a man to bear the yoke in his youth.
Let him sit alone and keep silent, because God has laid it on him...there may yet be hope.
For the Lord will not cast off forever, though He causes grief yet He will show compassion according to the multitude of His tender mercies.
For He does not afflict willingly, nor grieve the children of men.
My eyes flow and do not cease...until the Lord from heaven looks down and sees.
I called on Your name O Lord, from the lowest pit. You have heard my voice...
You drew near on the day I called on You and said 'Do not fear!'
O Lord, You have pleaded the case for my soul, You have redeemed my life."

These words have comforted me many times, as I have humbly been reminded that The Plan for my life is in God's control, not mine. But how wonderful to know that we can trust Him, and how much He loves us.💖











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver