Skip to main content

WhatIEat#34


  1. I've have been trying really hard to stay as compliant as possible on my low lectin diet, especially this last week, and I've been doing quite well for the most part, but there have been some non-compliant foods, as you will see. This pizza though is not one is them. That's right, a homemade low lectin pizza that tasted amazing! Pizza is traditionally extremely high in lectins: Tomatoes (nightshade family), regular dairy, and the gluten crust are all definite No's on the Plant Paradox diet.

I made this pizza by using a yucca dough crust, the recipe for which was based on one by Jennifer Robins from the Predominantly Paleo blog. She has great info on making a dough from yucca roots.
I had made empanadas with yucca before, but this is my first pizza.
I topped it with compliant goat and sheep cheeses, basil, red onion, garlic, spinach, and a drizzle of avocado oil. It was totally delicious and not very difficult to make, so I will for sure be making this again.                                


I grabbed a few bags of Trader joe's organic rainbow cauliflower from the freezer last time I was there. I steamed a bag with a bag of frozen broccoli florets and ate that alongside the pizza.
I was trying to take pics of everything I ate, but I forgot with this meal until I was down to the last bite. Probably because I ate it in the car on the way to a morning chiropractor appointment. Hard to get two kids ready to go right away in the AM for an hour drive to the chiro, but it's totally worth it. And that's also why I always batch cook cauli puree and sweet potatoes- healthy fast food.

I eat a lot of salads. I usually eat an entire bag of butter lettuce...its 2-3 servings of veggies for just the lettuce alone. I try to top it with more veggies, some healthy fat and a little protein.
Here we have butter lettuce, canned salmon mixed with mayo and mustard, and red onion, salt and pepper, drizzled with avocado oil.
I haven't been having many mug cakes lately. and I've really been wanting a cookie. There are lots of variations of a easy, four or five ingredient peanut butter cookie recipe online, but peanut butter is out. And sugar. And white flour.
No worries, I love to experiment.
I whipped up these cookies using blanched almond butter, a duck egg, vanilla crème stevia, coconut flour, tapioca starch, a pinch of baking powder and a pinch of salt.
I topped a couple with some dark chocolate chips the first batch, but the next time I made them I did not, and I actually prefer them without the chocolate. Plus I'm  avoiding chocolate right now....I think I react to it.
So now I have a cookie recipe that I can make with no sugar, no chocolate, no white flour, and low lectins. Happy, happy.
Three pastured chicken eggs, red onion, spinach, and mushrooms. Good breakfast. I threw on some avocado after the picture was taken too.
Lovely family dinner of roasted asparagus that somehow tasted like bacon even though there was no bacon used, but oh well -#win. Steamed sweet potato coins, sauerkraut, and a super juicy, grilled organic chicken thigh. I season my chicken with garlic and onion powder and dried oregano, and then I also pick some fresh basil and lay it on the chicken as it grills and it infuses the meat with an amazing flavor. The chicken is not compliant, since its not strictly grass fed, so I haven't been eating much chicken lately.
Another scramble of ducks eggs, onions, spinach, mushrooms, and guacamole. Get those veggies in!
Steamed broccoli with avo. oil and tuna with mayo& mustard.
Cozy mug of green tea.
Salmon over butter lettuce with homemade dressing. I modified my HM dressing for this diet, which means no honey. So its more like a vinaigrette made with avo. oil, apple cider vinegar, Primal Kitchens mayo (compliant brand), mustard and poppy seeds.

LOL I tried so hard to be 100% compliant. I brought a couple almond butter cookies along with me. I was going to be strong. We were going to get the kids ice cream somewhere else..but then that place was out of ice cream due to extreme heat in their tiny shop causing their ice cream machine to over heat...So we had to walk across the street to Rocket Donuts. As soon as I smelled the smell of freshly fired dough, that was it. I caved. I got the kids their ice cream and got myself one of their scrumptious little gluten free donuts with the perfect chocolate glaze. And I enjoyed it immensely and I will not apologize. Sometimes, you just gotta live life and participating in fun activities with my family is also important to me. Plus I've been eating my veggies like nobody's business. I've also learned that while certain foods might not be doing me any favors, there are specific foods that will hurt my tummy and others that will not. I don't splurge knowingly on the ones that cause me pain, but I will have a treat now and then. But you can't be doing that all the time. It has to be a  special treat.
Breakfast for me and the kids.
Lamb meatballs with broccolini and leftover sweet potato coins. Lamb has such a rich fat that cooks off of it, so I threw the broccolini into there to crisp a little and soak up all the goodness, and warmed the potatoes in there too. So yum.
Lunch salad- bag of butter lettuce (which is not organic, so very technically not compliant, but whatevs, the organic stuff often has bugs in it and if there's bugs it freaks me out and eating salad is better than not eating salad, right??), leftover broccoli, avocado, and my vinaigrette.
So...this is a picture of my morning supplements (in palm) and my mid-day supplements. I also have four supplements at bedtime, plus vitamin B 12 drops, and vitamin C powder that I stir into water and drink.
I included in this WhatIEat post because I am choosing to view this stuff as extra nourishment. My body is working very hard to heal from several different setbacks, and it needs a boost of specific vitamins and minerals and herbs to facilitate quicker recovery.
I used to see my supplements and they would remind me that I was sick and broken and it was depressing. But now that I'm taking more than ever, and I want them to be able to help me, I ask God to bless them to my body, just like my food and I feel grateful for them. Because hating it can only cause hindrance and discouragement; accepting it will increase the gratitude and joy and healing.
Lord willing.
A giant bowl of steamed broccoli. This is my fast and healthy lunch several times a week. Our Costco carries a large bag of frozen organic broccoli, and there are four meal sized packs in the big bag. Each small bag has five servings of broccoli in it, and I just pop one on a pot with my steamer basket, simmer til soft, and then drizzle with avo. oil and season with salt and pepper and sometimes garlic powder. I love it!
Paleo naan (recipe from paleogrubs.com) is a staple for me now. It is a resistant starch (due to the tapioca starch in it) so it's compliant, and when you cool the starch it upps the resistant starch even more, so I have been making a big batch of them and keeping them in the fridge and eating a cold one as a snack with a spritz of avo. oil and sprinkle of salt. Takes care of any carb cravings without a blood sugar crash. And they are very tasty, especially fresh out of the skillet with some garlic salt of them.
Asparagus, roasted sweet potato, and salmon with mayo and mustard and dill.
Sauteed kale, fresh from our garden, red onion and mushrooms, with soft-fried pastured eggs and avocado.
Leftovers for lunch! Sweet potato, asparagus and tuna.
I tried tahini for the first time recently... hmm...its ok. It is bitter at first taste, with a slightly nutty after taste. I really want to try using it in a dressing or cookie recipe.
I went out with my sister in law Jessica for a much-needed and long-awaited girls-only, kid-free dinner. Thai food!! YES. I tried to be as compliant as possible, but this was also before I was really, really trying to be 100% compliant so...not as much of a fail then, right? Lol
I got Pad Thai - no gluten and no peanuts- but probably soy and definitely nightshades (chili peppers), and then of course rice noodles. Although the rice noodles are ok for a once in awhile treat in Phase 3 of Plant Paradox diet so...I'm gonna say they were compliant. :)
Either way, it was delicious, AND it didn't hurt my tummy (yay!!) and it was wonderful to visit with my dear friend and not be interrupted by screaming/fighting/bleeding/hungry kids. Lol I love my kids, I really do. But a mama needs to get out for a breather once in a great while. And also eat Pad Thai. Perfect combination.
I didn't eat my ginormous portion of Pad Thai all at once, so I threw the leftovers into my bowl of broccoli the next day for lunch with some extra garlic. Because I do try to be good. But, balance.
Family dinner- grilled lamb, cauli puree, grilled onions, and salad.
I wish I could make grilled lamb and cauli puree for everyone. It would seriously change your mind about both things. Unless you already think they're awesome, in which case, it would only make you love them more.
Fried eggs over top a bowl of red onion, mushroom, spinach, sprouts and avocado.
Found out my husband loves sprouts...I had no idea. Even after ten years of marriage we're still learning things about each other. Like the other day I was telling Sophie and Nathaniel about working at a berry stand one summer and Brian was like "What? You did? How did I not know that?" Lol I love it when that happens.


Oh yum...paleo naan covered with goat gouda, onions, cilantro, grass fed beef with taco seasoning, garlic and onion powder, broiled and then topped with lettuce and guac. My favorite.
Crispy fried eggs, the way only my husband can cook them, and fresh, perfectly ripe avocado. Sunday mornings this is usually my breakfast and I look forward to it.

Dinner- huge salad with spouts and HM dressing, and a bowl of cauli puree, sweet potato puree and grass fed, homegrown, mouthwatering beef roast.
Paleo (but not Plant Paradox compliant) almond crackers, dipped into canned salmon with mayo and guac. I have to limit nuts and nut flours because they hurt my tummy sometimes, but it is nice to have an almost compliant cracker to take on picnics and stuff, or just when I want a little bit of something crunchy that's not a veggie.
Lunch out- Chipotle bowl. I shared it with Sophie and Nathaniel, so I asked for the cheese and sour cream to be put on one side of the bowl and the guacamole on the other. That way I could eat some of it. I also picked white rice (not brown, brown has higher lectins) and no beans. Not 100% compliant due to nightshades/peppers, but not too bad.
Creamy cauliflower puree with a swirl of silky sweet potato puree, a little leftover lamb and grilled onions, and a drizzle of avocado oil. Delightfully satisfying and so nourishing.
Lettuce with my vinaigrette, broiled asparagus, grilled onions, and grilled fresh wild salmon.
Sophie requested the fresh salmon and I was very happy to oblige.


Spinach and duck eggs and green tea. I can't handle a lot of caffeine, but green tea is some good for you that I've been drinking it once in a while now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver