Skip to main content

WhatIEat#13

 I've been eating a lot of soup this week. I made two soups, a chicken noodle with white beans and spinach and my sweet potato, squash, spinach, sausage, romano cheese soup...Lol I need a better (shorter)name for it.
This is a sampling of the treats I made for Christmas parties. Any treats I make are gluten free, and almost always corn and soy too. I have several that are dairy and egg free as well. Even though I don't have to so strictly avoid of all those myself anymore, I have a lot of family members that do avoid one or more of them, and also, I developed the recipes for a lot of my healthier treats when I was on a strict avoidance diet and I actually prefer the results when made that way. I made Butter cookies, caramel corn, peanut butter balls, double chocolate chunk cookies, banana bread, almond flour chocolate chip bars, and no bake peanut butter squares. So far. Four parties down, two to go!
Christmas Eve morning breakfast! Brian was home, yay! He usually has to work on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and we usually have a party (or two) to go to as well, but this year he had off both days (since it was Saturday and Sunday) and we didn't have any other party to go to. It was soooo wonderful. That has never happened in the history of our relationship! And especially since the kids our getting bigger, it was really great to have him all to ourselves those two days, and also nice to be able to just sit and recover from the previous parties (4 in 3 days!).
Anyway, about the breakfast :) Scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage and GF cornbread with honey and butter. And fruit for those who that eat it.
Recovery breakfast. Fried egg on GF toast with avocado, my smoothie of wild blueberries, celery, spinach, green apple, and ginger, and some nice hot raspberry leaf tea. I've been trying to eat eggs and/or my smoothie for breakfast and homemade soup for lunch to help balance out the sweets and treats I've been enjoying at all our Christmas parties. I don't really feel too guilty about eating the goodies that I make, since they are mostly healthy ingredients and usually contain a lot less sugar than the traditional version. But as I've mentioned before, it's really important to start your day right, as it affects how your blood sugar will function the rest of the day, and also putting something healthy into your empty tummy is a good way to get your body going in the morning.
This dish isn't very photogenic, but it is delicious and good for you! I made my version of Zuurkool, a traditional Dutch casserole of potatoes and sauerkraut and apples, pineapple and bacon. My version is adapted to the Paleo diet, and uses white sweet potatoes, ham/bacon, and sauerkraut. I love that it uses less ingredients but still gives your the same flavor profile. Make sure to buy the refrigerated sauerkraut, and add about two thirds of it to the dish while heating and save the last third for stirring in after heating to keep those good tummy bugs alive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This Is Going Well // DNRS review

{This is going W E L L}  Brian gave me this mug for Christmas, and it's my favorite.❤  All the work I've been doing to retrain my brain and heal my body has been going very well, and I am so excited and optimistic about the future!  I mentioned previously that I would be starting the Dynamic Neural Retraining System, (DNRS), which works with neuroplasticity based techniques to heal an impaired limbic system, which is essentially a brain injury that results from trauma and causes your brain to process and store information as if you are in a constant state of "fight or flight", or emergency response.  Trauma is relative to every individual, and there are different types of trauma; obvious things like death, war, victim of a crime, major accidents, and those sort of things are Traumas with a capital 'T'. Things like illness, chronic stress, unstable family life, negative relationships, and many others, are  traumas with a little 't'; on

Transformation // Hair Analysis #2

I haven't posted in over a year.  I have six drafts that I started writing and never posted because I just couldn't decide what to say, with all the current world events and how I was feeling emotionally and mentally, (kind of all over the place), so....it has been quite awhile since I updated on where I'm at in my health journey. When I last posted here, I talked about DNRS and what a difference it was making for me. I am very happy to say that, even with the world being turned upside down, I was still able to keep that new level of health I had reached, and I am now doing better than ever. That's not to say there haven't been a lot of ups and downs, and some really low lows, but I really believe that I healed my root cause issues. 2 years ago, I was working on treating anxiety, SIBO, low stomach acid, HPA axis dysfunction a.k.a. adrenal fatigue (the most severe my doctor had seen on paper), other hormonal issues, and more, all at the same time; it was challenging

Updated Supplement Protocol

This is my current protocol of supplements we are using to support my body in healing my gut, hormones, and overall health. I am posting this partly to document my progress, and also to share what is working for me,  and to maybe give people ideas to ask their doctor about. Do not just start taking any supplement without working with a trained practitioner. There are too many personal and varying factors to navigate the world of supplements and vitamins alone. Do yourself a favor and get professional, knowledgeable help to give you the best chance at complete recovery and fastest results. I saw my Naturopath last week, and we went over my symptoms and adjusted my supplements and added in a couple new things. This protein shake is one of the new additions to my treatment plan. OptiCleanse GHI is a protein powder supplement that we are using to support healing my gut, specifically leaky gut, and also support liver detox. It tastes quite good actually, which I was ver